The Town of Ophir resulted from mining claims established by Col. Patrick Connor's soldiers in 1860 who were bivouacked in the Stockton area. Word traveled fast that Ophir was rich in precious minerals, and soon miners from Nevada and California arrived to make it rich. Ophir quickly boomed with stores, brothels, saloons and dance halls. Today, Ophir is a quiet ghost town, with a handful of families who have remained. The old Town Hall has been restored, as well as other sites in the mountain community.