Wendy Shubert

Tooele County Assessor



47 South Main, Room #221
Tooele, UT  84074

Telephone Numbers:


Main: (435) 843-3103
Fax: (435) 843-3137


Office Hours:


7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Monday - Friday




The Utah Farmland Assessment Act


The Utah Farmland Assessment Act (FAA, also called theGreenbelt Act) allows qualifying agricultural property to be assessed and taxedbased upon its productive capability instead of the prevailing market value. This unique method of assessment is vital to agriculture operations in close proximity to expanding urban areas, where taxing agricultural property at market value could make farming operations economically prohibitive.

How is productive value determined?

Productive values are established by the Utah State Tax Commission with the assistance of a five member Farmland Assessment Advisory Committee and Utah State University. Productive values apply state-wide and are based upon income and expense factors associated with agriculture activities. These factors are expressed in terms of value per acre for specific land classifications.

How is land classified?

Land is classified according to its capability of producing crops of forage. Capability is dependent upon soil type, topography, availability of irrigation water, growing season, and other factors. The County Assessor classifies all agricultural land in the county based on Natural Resource Conservation Service Soil Surveys and guidelines provided by the Tax Commission. The general classifications of agricultural land are irrigated, dryland, grazing land, orchard and meadow. If you disagree with your land classification, you can appeal to your county board of equalization for reclassification.

What does it take to qualify?

Private farmland can qualify for assessment and taxation under the Farmland Assessment Act if the land:

Production Requirement Defined

To qualify for the Farmland Assessment Act land must produce in excess of 50 percent of the average agricultural production per acre for the given type of land and the given county or area. To determine production levels the County Assessor will use the following sources: the most recent publication of Utah Agricultural Statistics; crop and enterprise budgets published by Utah State University; or standards established by the Tax Commission. Examples: (1) A farmer grows alfalfa. The average annual production of alfalfa in his area is four tons per acre per year. To qualify he must produce more than two tons per acre per year. (2) A rancher has 10 acres of irrigated pasture, which would reasonable carry 10 cows or 50 sheep through the grazing season. To qualify he will need to graze more than five head of cattle or 25 sheep.


The acreage requirement may be waived if the owner can show that 80 percent or more of the owner's, purchaser's, or lessee's income is derived from agricultural products produced on the land or failure to meet the 5 acre requirement arose solely out of an eminent domain proceeding.

The production requirement may be waived if the owner shows that the property has been in agricultural use for the previous two years and that failure to meet the production requirement in a particular year was due to no fault or act of the owner, purchaser, or lessee.

The production requirement will be waived if the land is involved in a bonafide range improvement program, crop rotation program, or other similarly accepted agricultural practice, which does not give reasonable opportunity to satisfy the production level requirement.

Application Deadlines

New applications for assessment and taxation under the Utah Farmland Assessment Act must be submitted by May 1 of the tax year in which assessment is requested. applications necessary because of ownership change, legal description change, assessor request, etc., can be filed anytime.

How do I apply?

An application for assessment and taxation of agricultural land under the FAA can be obtained from your County Assessor. This application should be completed and returned to the County Assessor. Supporting documentation may be required such as federal tax returns, affidavits, lease agreements, sales receipts, production records, etc. which show the production requirement has been met for the preceding two years.

Who may apply

Any owner of agricultural land may apply for assessment and taxation under the Farmland Assessment Act.

Can Leased Land Qualify?

Leased land can qualify for assessment and taxation under the FAA if the acreage requirement is met and the production requirement is satisfied. A purchaser or lessee may qualify the land by submitting, along with the application from the owner, documents certifying that the production levels have been satisfied.

What happens when land is withdrawn from FAA?

When land becomes ineligible for farmland assessment (such as when it is developed or goes into non-use), the owner becomes subject to what is known as a rollback tax. The rollback tax is the difference between the taxes paid while on greenbelt and the taxes which would have been paid had the property been assessed at market value. In determining the amount of rollback tax due, a maximum of five years preceding the change in use will be used. The tax rate for each of the years in question will be applied to determine the tax amount.

Valuation Changes

The Utah State Tax Commission, based on a four-year study conducted by Utah State University, has adjusted the values used for farmland assessment. The basic changes in addition to the valuation changes include:

Land Classification Schedule
Tooele County Taxable Value
Per Acre by Classification
Type of Land 2017 Values 2018 Values
II IRRIGATED $447 $426
IV IRRIGATED $204 $194
I ORCHARD $614 $620
II ORCHARD $614 $620
III ORCHARD $614 $620
IV ORCHARD $614 $620
IV MEADOW $186 $177
III DRY $52 $50
IV DRY $14 $14
I GRAZE $71 $68
II GRAZE $20 $19
III GRAZE $13 $13
IV GRAZE $5 $5

Note: Zeros indicate that no agricultural land of that classification exists in the county.

The table above represents agricultural use-value per acre in Tooele County for the various classes of agricultural property.






Tooele County | 47 South Main Street | Tooele, UT 84074 | Telephone: (435) 843-3100